Sunday, February 17

Pom Pons Down



I came across this little nugget recently and got a chuckle. It's the 1983-84 Hughes Pom Pon Girls dance team. Dig those satin costumes! Reversible with tails and briefs. On my first day of practice as an 8th grader, the captain laid out a costume, traced it onto newspaper, and told us to take the pattern home to sew out of green and white satin.

I knew from the moment I was aware of school dance team that I wanted to be a part of it. Many of my school memories are my dance team memories. We danced to "Everybody Wants You" by Billy Squier; the second year we danced to "She Works Hard For The Money" by Donna Summer. I can still remember the beginning of my first try-out dance to "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen.

Hughes is no longer a junior high school, and the Pom Pon Girls are now called the Adajios, but I still have the memories, the photos, and my giant pom pons.

1 comment:

Moni said...

Oh how I loved to watch those routines. I adored the satin outfits and dreamt of being a part of the team someday. (I made it in 9th grade!)