Saturday, April 29

In The Faces of Your Friends



When I was sitting with Connor in the hospital for three days, I listened to all (well, most) of the Ani DiFranco songs on my iPod. I was reminded of how terrific her music is. It was perfect for those quiet, dark hospital evenings.

Anyway, one song called "Good, Bad, Ugly" contains this line: "It's good, good to be back home, how I miss this time zone. Strangers, they're exciting, their mystery never ends, but there's nothing like looking at your own history in the faces of your friends."

How true this is for me, and I got to live it last weekend when I met up with an old friend. She and her kids were in Fargo, so we drove over for a quick reunion. Toni and I have been friends since elementary school when her family moved into the apartments behind our house. We haven't seen each other for a couple of years, and I was very happy to discover that we still have that kind of friendship where we pick up right where we left off. No awkward getting-to-know-you-again small talk. Just a big hug and then dive in. It also helps that our kids are the same ages and get along pretty well.

Here's to history and old friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making the trip into Fargo! We are so blessed to have had the kind of friendship that help up over the years and miles between us. You have a beautiful family Michele! Cherish those boys (all three!)!